After taking a year off due to COVID-19, Milwaukee Krampusnacht once again haunts the Bavarian Bierhaus, 700 W. Lexington Blvd., on Sunday, Dec. 5 from 4 to 10 p.m. Tickets are $5.
Milwaukee Krampusnacht is the celebration of Krampus, a hideous holiday demon who comes from Alpine region folklore and scares unruly children into behaving. Basically, Krampus is the dark alter ego of St. Nick.
This year, Milwaukee Krampusnacht is dedicated in loving memory to Scott Wolter, who participated in the event every year as a Krampus performer, but passed away in 2020. The event is also a toy drive and benefit raffle for Toys for Tots, so guests are encouraged to bring a new toy to donate.
The alternative holiday event includes:
- The Krampus Holiday Market, a wide range of 20 local crafters selling ornaments, candles, jewelry, ceramics, books, clothes, dolls and more.
- The American Ghost Walks Krampus Parade with dozens of performers dressed as Krampus, witches, angels and other characters of holiday folklore. The parade is outside in the beer garden area at 7 p.m.
- Live music includes Leaky Bellows (5 p.m.), Sweet Sheiks (6 p.m.), Sunspot (8 p.m.) and The Quillz (9 p.m.).
- The Bavarian Bierhaus offers food and drink including a special Bells & Chains brew for the event. Games and a set by DJ 10-foot Tall Krampus will also take place in the beer garden.
- Other activities include the Kid’s Krampus Hour, White Elephant Gift Exchange and Krampusnacht Scavenger Hunt.
“I think people really love this event because it’s not about greedy commercialization. It’s about getting together, checking out local music, crafters and performers, and just having a creepy cool great time,” says event coordinator Tea Krulos. "Plus it's the perfect holiday shopping for all the lovable weirdos in your life."
Molly Snyder started writing and publishing her work at the age 10, when her community newspaper printed her poem, "The Unicorn.” Since then, she's expanded beyond the subject of mythical creatures and written in many different mediums but, nearest and dearest to her heart, thousands of articles for OnMilwaukee.
Molly is a regular contributor to FOX6 News and numerous radio stations as well as the co-host of "Dandelions: A Podcast For Women.” She's received five Milwaukee Press Club Awards, served as the Pfister Narrator and is the Wisconsin State Fair’s Celebrity Cream Puff Eating Champion of 2019.